*Yosemite Conservancy has made the difficult decision to cancel this art program due to the outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19). For more information about our response to COVID-19, please click here.*
In this hands-on art class, you’ll combine two fun artistic techniques to celebrate late-spring scenery in Yosemite Valley. Artist Sue Fierston will kick off the class by teaching you to draw and paint Yosemite’s leaves in watercolor. After creating several leaf paintings on watercolor paper, return to the studio, and print Sierra leaves on soft printmakers’ paper using basic printmaking techniques. Create several designs using the colorful ink, and take home several frame-worthy leaf prints and paintings from your day of art.
An optional printmaking opportunity is available for students who would like to print on fabric; bring a personal item, such as a white T-shirt, tea towel or tote bag, and use fabric-printing ink to create a personal keepsake! Canvas tote bags are available for printing for $5 at the Happy Isles Art and Nature Center.
- Beginner level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+.
- Registration: $30 per day per visitor; advanced registration recommended; drop-ins welcome as space is available.
- Location: Happy Isles Art and Nature Center. Park at Curry Village, and take the shuttle (shuttle stop #16). Workshops are held outside, weather and medium permitting.
- Time: 10 am–2 pm, Monday–Friday. Please arrive at 9:45 am to purchase supplies, and plan for extra time when taking the shuttles.
- Materials: All basic materials and supplies for watercolor painting and printmaking are included in the class registration fee, with the exception of optional fabric items to print on. Participants can also purchase a tote bag to print on for $5.
● Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of the participants.