*Yosemite Conservancy has made the difficult decision to cancel this art program due to the outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19). For more information about our response to COVID-19, please click here.*
Enjoy a day of creativity and exploration in the park, as you use a sketchbook and watercolors to shape your own story. Join artists and poets Joa Suorez and Kelly Lee in translating your experience of summer in Yosemite into an original watercolor painting and poem. Along with learning the basics of plein air watercolor painting — including tips on sketching, color mixing and composition — you’ll read a selection of poetry inspired by the Sierra Nevada and compose your own poem. With an emphasis on helping you honor and hone your own approach, this workshop welcomes experimentation and playfulness, and it is open to artists and poets of all levels.
- Beginner level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+.
- Registration: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration recommended; drop-ins welcome as space is available.
- Location: Happy Isles Art and Nature Center. Park at Curry Village, and take the shuttle (shuttle stop #16). Workshops are held outside, weather and medium permitting.
- Time: 10 am–2 pm, Monday–Friday. Please arrive at 9:45 am to purchase supplies, and plan for extra time when taking the shuttles.
- Materials: Supplies are not included in the registration fee. Supply lists are sent to registered participants once payment is received. Additional supplies are available for purchase at Happy Isles Art and Nature Center. All purchases benefit the park! Materials available for use free of charge: field easel, field stool, hardboard, water containers and paper towels.
● Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of the participants.