If you’ve wanted to try watercolor painting but think it seems daunting or difficult, this is the class for you! Painter Luis Juarez will help you build confidence in your art and see that watercolor can be a fun, rewarding way to connect with and capture your surroundings.
In this four-hour class, you’ll practice slowing down and taking time to observe subjects and scenes in Yosemite Valley. With guidance from Juarez, you’ll learn to use basic watercolor techniques to simplify shapes, colors and shadows, portraying the essence of trees, mountains and people without getting mired in minute details. Throughout the class, you’ll focus on employing easy tactics to get the best results from your paints.
After spending a few hours learning from Juarez and creating your own painting, you’ll have a personal piece of art that reflects the colors and atmosphere of a summer day in Yosemite — and plenty of skills and self-assurance for your future artistic adventures.
- Beginner level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+.
- Registration: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration recommended; drop-ins welcome as space is available.
- Location: Happy Isles Art and Nature Center. Park at Curry Village, and take the shuttle (shuttle stop #16). Workshops are held outside, weather and medium permitting.
- Time: 10 am–2 pm, Monday–Friday. Please arrive at 9:45 am to purchase supplies, and plan for extra time when taking the shuttles.
- Materials: Supplies are not included in the registration fee. Supply lists are sent to registered participants once payment is received. Additional supplies are available for purchase at Happy Isles Art and Nature Center. All purchases benefit the park! Materials available for use free of charge: field easel, field stool, hardboard, water containers and paper towels.
● Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of the participants.