Deepen your connection to Yosemite in an interactive workshop that brings together two mediums: watercolor and ink.
In this four-hour class with Qinqin Liu, an accomplished artist and environmental scientist, you’ll work with watercolor paints and Chinese ink, as you learn basic elements of artistic design, including how to mix, adjust and apply different colors, and how to use light and dark values to add depth or create focal points. You’ll also explore abstract Chinese pictorial characters representing natural features, such as mountain peaks, rocks and waterfalls.
Working outside (weather permitting), you’ll use simple watercolor and ink techniques to create a unique piece that reflects the Valley’s natural beauty. Novice and experienced artists, alike, will find inspiration and fresh perspectives in this fun summer class!
- Beginner level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+.
- Registration: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration recommended; drop-ins welcome as space is available.
- Location: Happy Isles Art and Nature Center. Park at Curry Village, and take the shuttle (shuttle stop #16). Workshops are held outside, weather and medium permitting.
- Time: 10 am–2 pm, Monday–Friday. Please arrive at 9:45 am to purchase supplies, and plan for extra time when taking the shuttles.
- Materials: Supplies are not included in the registration fee. Supply lists are sent to registered participants once payment is received. Additional supplies are available for purchase at Happy Isles Art and Nature Center. All purchases benefit the park! Materials available for use free of charge: field easel, field stool, hardboard, water containers and paper towels.
- Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of the participants.