Program Overview: This trip offers an unforgettable Yosemite adventure in a less-traveled part of Yosemite’s Wilderness! Join a group of fellow women adventurers and naturalist guides trekking along Alder Creek in the southwest portion of Yosemite. You’ll spend three days and two nights exploring magical forest and meadow ecosystems.
The trip kicks off with a Thursday evening get-together, where you’ll meet one of your naturalist guides and fellow adventurers, review the route, Leave No Trace ethics, and safety tips. On Friday morning, the adventure begins – hiking through the forest to a base camp near Alder Fall. This will be home for the next two nights.
On Saturday, the group will explore the forests and meadows of the area! For this day hike, you’ll leave your backpack safely at camp and carry only a day pack, so you can focus on the experience without extra weight on your shoulders. After another night at camp, enjoy a leisurely Sunday morning before hiking back out of the Wilderness.
This route offers ample opportunity to learn about the unique ecology of Yosemite and the Sierra Nevada. Throughout the weekend, your guide will share tips for the trail, point out notable natural features, and offer insights about the park’s wildlife. Bring your curiosity!
Hiking is an integral part of practically every course, so you must be in good physical condition to attend. For any outing, if you are unprepared or appear physically unable to complete the required activities, trip leaders have the right to ask you to leave the course to ensure the safety of the group.
If you have questions regarding the demands of any course, please call the office 209-379-2647—we’ll be happy to help you decide whether the course is a good fit.
Know Before You Go:
- Program dates: Intro meeting on Thursday, July 6 from 7:30-9 pm. Start hiking at 8:30 am on Friday, July 7 and end on Sunday, July 9 by 4 pm.
- Program location: Starting at Alder Creek Trailhead, hiking to Alder Fall
- What’s included: Three full days of guided instruction by a Yosemite Naturalist, park entry (as needed), and shared tent camping (camping dates cannot be altered). There is no discount if you choose not to use the included gate pass or campsite.
- Camping dates: Participants can arrive on July 6 after 12 pm and must depart July 7 by 11 am. After the backpack, participants can arrive on July 9 after 12 pm and must depart July 10 by 11 am. There are two shared campsites among all the participants. We guarantee tent camping only. If you choose to bring a recreational vehicle, we cannot guarantee you will have a parking spot. Please be prepared to tent camp. A picnic table, bear locker and fire pit are provided at each site. Campsites fit 6 people per site.
- Campground Location: Upper Pines Campground in Yosemite Valley
- Experience level: We recommend you have prior backpacking experience and be prepared for a moderately strenuous hike. Participants must be physically fit and prepared to carry a heavy pack at high elevation.
What’s not included:
- Gear or meals during your program.
- Camping gear or meals in the shared campsites.
View a suggested packing list including gear rental options.