Immerse yourself in three days of learning and practice in Yosemite Valley during an art retreat with Shelly Perkins. This workshop is all about sharing the enjoyment of our natural world and working creatively outside. Participants will use watercolor and pen to create a sketchbook, starting with the basics and moving slowly through different techniques from mastering line work to understanding form and composition. We will also look at the use of color to emulate light and shade and how we can convey that into often quick studies working outside. As you learn how to draw and paint outside, your instructor will support you in developing confidence and enjoyment no matter what your artistic skill level.
Though these three days will be packed with learning and creating art, it will be a relaxing and fun way to connect to other artists and practice some new skills.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- When: September 14 through September 17
- Where: Yosemite Valley
- Hiking: The group will paint at different locations throughout the retreat; please be prepared to walk 1-3 miles/day, as not all locations will be accessible by car.
- Registration includes: Three days of progressive learning and painting en plein air with artist Shelly Perkins, park entry (as needed), and four nights of tent camping shared amongst participants September 14 – September 18 in Yosemite Valley, or upgrade to a tent cabin at Curry Village for an additional fee.
- There is no discount if you choose not to use the included gate pass or campsite. Information about upgrading your accommodations to stay at Curry Village will be emailed to you after you sign up.
- Camping is for retreat participants only. We are unable to accommodate friends and family of participants in our group campsite; lodging arrangements for friends and family are the responsibility of participants.
- Due to the shared nature of our group sites, we are unable to accommodate RVs or campers. If you desire a private campsite, have an RV/camper, or want to sleep in your car, you must arrange for your own camping reservation.
COVID-19: We have implemented special safety measures to keep art class participants and instructors safe during the ongoing pandemic. Please review our COVID-19 procedures for details.