Gather for this long weekend in the high country to explore May Lake and the surrounding summits of Mt. Hoffman and Tuolumne Peak! You’ll begin with a one-mile hike to May Lake, your home base for the weekend. You’ll grab your day pack and follow your naturalist guide to the geographic center of the park, Mt Hoffmann. As you hike, you’ll learn about the natural and human history of the peak, weather station, and lake below. The next day, you’ll either spend the day summiting Tuolumne Peak or enjoy a relaxing day lounging by the blissful beach at May Lake, enjoying the incredible scenery overlooking Tenaya Lake, Clouds Rest, and Half Dome. On Sunday, you’ll make the short hike back to the May Lake trailhead feeling refreshed, relaxed and ready to share photos and stories from your trip with your family and friends.
Included with your registration:
- An introductory meeting (7:30 pm on Thursday, Sept 3 at Tuolumne Meadows Campground) and three full days of guided backpacking (Friday, Sept 4 to approximately 2 pm on Sunday, September 6, depending on the group’s pace).
- Park entry (as needed).
- Bear-canister rental (as needed) and Yosemite Wilderness permit.
- Two nights of shared tent camping at Tuolumne Meadows Campground, as needed (available Thursday, September 3 and Sunday, September 6).
- Note: Our limited campsites are for participants only. The sites are shared. Tents only. We cannot adjust the dates.
- Option to upgrade accommodations to Tuolumne Lodge for an additional fee (available Thursday, Sept 3 and Sunday, Sept 6).
- Note: There is no discount if you choose not to use our gate pass or campsites. Information about upgrading your accommodations to stay at Tuolumne Lodge will be emailed to you after you sign up. The option to upgrade expires 30 days before the start of the program. We cannot adjust the dates.
Participants must be physically fit, and previous backpacking experience is preferred. Prepare for about 15 miles of hiking round-trip, with roughly 2,000 feet of elevation gain (including the optional day hike to Tuolumne Peak).