Program Overview: Enjoy the splendor of summer in Yosemite’s high country during this one-of-a-kind backpacking trip with an experienced naturalist guide. This trip offers an unforgettable Yosemite adventure along a classic wilderness route! Join a group of fellow women adventurers trekking to Glen Aulin and an optional day hike to Waterwheel Falls. You’ll spend three days and two nights exploring challenging, rewarding, and absolutely breathtaking terrain.
The trip kicks off with a Thursday evening get-together, where you’ll meet your guide and fellow adventurers, and review the route, Leave No Trace ethics, and safety tips. On Friday morning, the adventure begins — follow the Tuolumne River from Tuolumne Meadows for six miles and set up camp by Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp. This will be home for the next two nights.
On Saturday, the group will head down the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne to Waterwheel Falls. You’ll get to know the forces that created Yosemite’s unbelievable landscape — this canyon was artfully sculpted by glaciers. For this day hike, you’ll leave your backpack safely at camp and carry only a day pack, so you can focus on the experience without extra weight on your shoulders. After another night at camp, enjoy a leisurely Sunday morning before hiking back out to Tuolumne Meadows.
This route offers ample opportunity to learn about the unique geology and ecology of Yosemite and the Sierra Nevada (and to capture incredible photos). Throughout the weekend, your guide will share tips for the trail, point out notable natural features, and offer insights about the park’s wildlife. Bring your curiosity!
Know Before You Go:
- Program dates: Evening meeting on Thursday, July 4 from 6:30-8 pm. Start hiking at 8:30 am on Friday, July 5 and end on Sunday, July 7 by 4 pm.
- Program location: Starting at Tuolumne Meadows, backpacking to Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp
- What’s included: A three day backpack trip with guided instruction by two Yosemite Naturalists, park entry (as needed), Wilderness permit, bear canister rental (as needed), and shared tent camping before and after the trek (camping dates cannot be altered). There is no discount if you choose not to use the included gate pass or campsite.
- Camping dates: Participants can arrive on July 4 after 12 pm and must depart July 5 by 11 am. After the backpack, participants can arrive on July 7 after 12 pm and must depart July 8 by 11 am. There are three shared campsites among all the participants. We guarantee tent camping only. If you choose to bring a recreational vehicle, we cannot guarantee you will have a parking spot. Please be prepared to tent camp. A picnic table, bear locker and fire pit are provided at each site. Campsites fit 6 people per site.
- Campground Location: White Wolf
- Experience level: We recommend you have prior backpacking experience and be prepared for a moderately strenuous, 15 mile roundtrip hike. Participants must be physically fit and prepared to carry a heavy pack at high elevation.
What’s not included:
- Gear or meals during your program.
- Camping gear or meals in the shared campsites.