This fun class for beginning and continuing students offers participants a chance to see Yosemite through an artist’s eyes. You’ll start with the basics of how to use your brushes and paints to create different shapes and colors. After practicing the fundamentals, you’ll put your new skills to work en plein air, and bring a spring scene to life. Using the magnificent Yosemite Valley landscape as inspiration, you’ll learn to slow down, observe your surroundings, then translate what you see into a watercolor painting. You’ll end the class with a fresh perspective on Yosemite, your own work of art and the skills to keep exploring the world of watercolor.
- Experience level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+.
- Registration fee: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration is required at least 12 hours in advance; no drop-ins due to Covid-19.
- Location: Yosemite Valley Visitor Center (shuttle stops #5 and #9). All workshops will be held outside, weather permitting.
- Time: 10 am to 2 pm, Monday through Friday. Please arrive between 9:30 and 9:45 am. Please build in extra time if taking the shuttle.
- Materials: Supplies for this class are not included in the registration fee. When you register, let us know whether you would like to rent a watercolor kit for $20, purchase supplies upon arrival, or bring your own art supplies. All rentals and purchases benefit the park! These essentials are available free of charge: easel, stool, hardboard, water cup and paper towels.
- Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of participants.
COVID-19: We have implemented special safety measures to keep art class participants and instructors safe during the ongoing pandemic. Please review our COVID-19 procedures for details.