Try your hand at a fun, rewarding artistic medium in this outdoor watercolor class in Yosemite Valley. After learning the basics of watercolor, such as how to mix colors, compose a scene and use different brush techniques, you’ll head to a relaxing spot in the Valley to select your subject for the day.
With guidance from your instructor, artist Rita Randolph, you’ll paint one of Yosemite’s many inspiring vistas, putting your new knowledge into practice to add shadows, texture and depth to your piece. By the end of the four-hour class, you’ll have your own painting of a classic Yosemite scene — and a new slate of artistic skills to use wherever you go!
- Experience level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+.
- Registration fee: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration is required at least 12 hours in advance; no drop-ins due to Covid-19.
- Location: Yosemite Valley Visitor Center (shuttle stops #5 and #9). All workshops will be held outside, weather permitting.
- Time: 10 am to 2 pm, Monday through Friday. Please arrive between 9:30 and 9:45 am. Please build in extra time if taking the shuttle.
- Materials: Supplies for this class are not included in the registration fee. When you register, let us know whether you would like to rent a watercolor kit for $20, purchase supplies upon arrival, or bring your own art supplies. All rentals and purchases benefit the park! These essentials are available free of charge: easel, stool, hardboard, water cup and paper towels.
- Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of participants.
COVID-19: We have implemented special safety measures to keep art class participants and instructors safe during the ongoing pandemic. Please review our COVID-19 procedures for details.