Anyone can keep an art journal; it’s a combination of a sketchbook and a journal.
Great naturalists use them to record their experiences and sketch the different plants, animals and geological formations they observe.
This is a great class for beginners who want to learn basic watercolor techniques and color mixing and how to sketch and paint trees, mountains and water. Exercises will include painting small objects as well as larger scale scenes like landscapes. Participants will be encouraged to jot down any thoughts or observations while immersing themselves in their artistic creations.
Anything can be included in your art journal: receipts, found objects like leaves or feathers, poetry and paintings. Roll up your sleeves, pull out your paint brush and have fun!
- Experience level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+.
- Registration fee: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration is required at least 12 hours in advance; no drop-ins due to Covid-19.
- Location: Yosemite Valley Visitor Center (shuttle stops #5 and #9). All workshops will be held outside, weather permitting.
- Time: 10 am to 2 pm, Monday through Friday. Please arrive between 9:30 and 9:45 am. Please build in extra time if taking the shuttle.
- Materials: Supplies for this class are not included in the registration fee. When you register, let us know whether you would like to rent a supply kit for $20, purchase supplies upon arrival, or bring your own art supplies. All rentals and purchases benefit the park! These essentials are available free of charge: easel, stool, hardboard, water cup and paper towels.
- Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of participants.
COVID-19: We have implemented special safety measures to keep art class participants and instructors safe during the ongoing pandemic. Please review our COVID-19 procedures for details.