Learn basic drawing techniques in this art workshop, which will teach you how to capture specimens on paper using nothing more than a sketchbook and a few colored pencils. Students will draw on a unique surface — double-sided frosted film — which can be attached to the inside of a sketchbook. The class will venture outside, and students will collect natural specimens to capture in life-like and colorful detail. Students can take home an unforgettable rendering of Yosemite by observing, drawing and coloring specimens of their choice.
- Beginner level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+.
- Registration: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration recommended; drop-ins welcome as space is available.
- Location: Happy Isles Art and Nature Center. Park at Curry Village, and take the shuttle (shuttle stop #16). Workshops are held outside, weather and medium permitting.
- Time: 10 am–2 pm, Monday–Friday. Please arrive at 9:45 am to purchase supplies, and plan for extra time when taking the shuttles.
- Materials: Supplies are not included in the registration fee. Supply lists are sent to registered participants once payment is received. Additional supplies are available for purchase at Happy Isles Art and Nature Center. All purchases benefit the park! Materials available for use free of charge: field easel, field stool, hardboard, water containers and paper towels.
● Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of the participants.