Join artist and educator Sean Edgerton for a fun, adventurous class focused on the basic elements of drawing and painting outdoors in Yosemite Valley.
Throughout the class, Edgerton will help you discover and observe details in the landscape, and will offer guidance as you use pencils and pens to record your surroundings and watercolor to add depth and perspective.
As you take a fresh look at everything from tiny flowers and insects, to tall trees and waterfalls, you’ll begin to see the beauty in creatures and features you might otherwise overlook. You might study the delicate veins of a pale green leaf, outline the undulations of snowmelt flowing in the Merced River, or sketch a granite skyline — or anything else that catches your eye! Whatever you choose to focus on, you’ll draw on freshly learned tips and techniques to capture the shapes, textures and sensations of spring in Yosemite.
Beginner level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+.
- Registration: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration recommended; drop-ins welcome as space is available.
- Location: Happy Isles Art and Nature Center. Park at Curry Village and take the shuttle (shuttle stop #16).; Workshops are held outside, weather and medium permitting.
- Time: 10 am to 2 pm, Monday through Friday. Please arrive at 9:45 am to purchase supplies, and plan for extra time when taking the shuttles.
- Materials: Supplies are not included in the registration fee. Supply lists are sent to registered participants once payment is received. Additional supplies are available for purchase at Happy Isles Art and Nature Center. All purchases benefit the park! Materials available for use free of charge: field easel, field stool, hardboard, water containers and paper towels.
- Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of the participants.