Curious how to relay the dramatic 3-dimensionality of Yosemite Valley onto a piece of paper? Artist Fran Calvert can show you how! This class will demystify the process of watercolor field sketching, and help beginning artists connect to the dynamic landscape of Yosemite. Each student will learn the basics of creating a quick, efficient “plein air” composition using easy-to-learn tools and techniques. You’ll create a piece of art using simple and time-honored practices associated with watercolor and emerge from the class with a composition that is frame-worthy!
As you learn, you’ll enjoy the serene surroundings of Happy Isles Art & Nature Center, in Yosemite Valley where forests, fens, rivers, and wildlife will inspire your art. By the time you leave, you’ll have the skills to sketch and paint wherever your next adventure takes you! So bring your excitement and willingness to learn, and take home inspiration for watercolor fieldsketching.
- Experience level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+. All participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Registration fee: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration encouraged. Walk-up registration available as space allows.
- Location: Happy Isles Art and Nature Center (Shuttle Stop 16). All workshops will be held outside, weather permitting.
- Time: 9 am to 1 pm, Monday through Friday. Please arrive between 8:30 and 8:45 am. Please build in extra time if taking the shuttle or walking from the parking lot.
- Materials: Supplies for this class are not included in the registration fee. You will have the option to rent a watercolor kit for $20, or purchase or bring your own art supplies. All rentals and purchases benefit the park! These essentials are available free of charge: stool, hardboard, water cup and paper towels.
- Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of participants.