In this three-day workshop, artists will explore Yosemite Valley together, learning from renowned artist and scientist Andrea Dingeldein. Andrea will offer insight on composition, capturing depth and drawing objects in nature with skill and accuracy. The group will also learn tips and tricks for capturing Yosemite in watercolor while exploring and hiking around. Andrea will lead the group through the process of careful observation of the natural systems around them and teach best practices for taking notes about their observations in their journal. The class will learn about Yosemite’s natural beauty together, exploring and observing botanical, geological, and animal subjects. Instruction and tips will focus mostly on watercolor techniques, with opportunities to incorporate pen & ink, toned paper, and colored pencil into your practice.
This workshop is a welcoming and safe environment in which to grow as an artist and practice your existing skills. The group will celebrate encounters with nature through careful observation and group discussion. There will be daily sketchbook shares which you may choose to participate in – this is a great way to learn new techniques and natural history from fellow participants and gain exposure to different perspectives and styles of drawing.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Program dates: August 1 through August 4
- Program location: Yosemite Valley
- What’s included: An evening meeting (August 1), three days of progressive learning and painting en plein air with artist Andrea Dingeldein (August 2 – August 4), park entry (as needed), and four nights of tent camping shared amongst participants August 1 – August 5 in Yosemite Valley, or upgrade to a tent cabin at Curry Village for an additional fee. There is no discount if you choose not to use the included gate pass or campsite.
- Camping dates: Participants can arrive on August 1 after 12pm and must depart August 5 by 11am. There are two shared campsites among all retreat participants. Please be prepared to tent camp. A picnic table, bear locker and firepit are provided at each site. Campsites fit 6 people and 2 cars per site, with overflow parking nearby. Please note:
- Camping is for retreat participants only. We are unable to accommodate friends and family of participants in our group campsite; lodging arrangements for friends and family are the responsibility of participants.
- Due to the shared nature of our group sites, we are unable to accommodate RVs or campers. If you desire a private campsite, have an RV/camper, or want to sleep in your car, you must arrange for your own reservation.
- Campground Location: Upper Pines in Yosemite Valley
- Lodging: Upgrade to Curry Village for an additional fee. Lodging dates match camping dates. Lodging blocks expire 30 days prior to the program. Information on upgrading accommodations will be included in your confirmation email upon registering.
- Experience level: Intermediate artists; must be physically fit to walk to painting locations with art supplies and essentials. Please be prepared to walk 1-3 miles/day, as not all locations will be accessible by car.
What’s not included:
- Gear or meals