Charcoal with John Tullis
In this charcoal class, students will learn and practice different drawing techniques, guided by artist and instructor John Tullis. You’ll be prompted to practice making marks, creating shadows, and exploring textures on your paper. Charcoal is a dramatic medium that represents Yosemite’s dynamic landscape. Each participant will have a hands-on learning experience outdoors in Yosemite Valley, learn some new skills, and take home a drawing that represents a day of creative camaraderie.
- Experience level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+. All participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Registration fee: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration encouraged. Walk-up registration available as space allows.
- Location: Happy Isles Art and Nature Center (Shuttle Stop 16). All workshops will be held outside, weather permitting.
- Time: 9 am to 1 pm, Monday through Friday. Please arrive between 8:30 and 8:45 am. Please build in extra time if taking the shuttle or walking from the parking lot.
- Materials: Supplies for this class are not included in the registration fee. You will have the option to purchase or bring your own art supplies. All purchases benefit the park! These essentials are available free of charge: stool and hardboard.
- Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of participants.
COVID-19: We have implemented special safety measures to keep art class participants and instructors safe during the ongoing pandemic. Please review our COVID-19 procedures for details.