Half Dome is one of the most recognizable natural landmarks in Yosemite — and in the world. Is reaching the top of this famous feature, which rises 4,800 feet above the floor of Yosemite Valley, high on your list of things to do in Yosemite? Don’t miss our one-night guided adventure!
During this summer backpacking adventure, you’ll have the chance to connect with fellow outdoor-lovers, enjoy epic scenery and learn about natural and cultural history. Throughout the weekend, your guide, an experienced naturalist, will share insider stories and tips for the trail.
The trip kicks off on Friday evening with a get-together in Yosemite Valley. On Saturday, you’ll backpack to Little Yosemite Valley, where you’ll set up camp for the night at a comfortable site that includes bear-proof food lockers and restrooms. On Sunday, hike to the Half Dome cables, and make your ascent. You’ll reach the summit with plenty of time to savor the 360-degree views before the heat, crowds and afternoon thunderstorms roll in. In the afternoon, head back down to Yosemite Valley in time to enjoy a well-deserved cold beverage with your fellow adventurers, as you celebrate an amazing shared experience.
Included with your registration:
- An introductory meeting (7:30 pm on Friday, October 2, at Upper Pines Campground) and two full days of guided backpacking starting and ending in Yosemite Valley (leave at 7:30 am on Saturday, October 3 and return by 5 pm on Sunday, October 4 — actual time depends on group pace).
- Park entry (as needed).
- All required permits (Half Dome and Yosemite Wilderness).
- Two nights of tent camping before and after the trip at Upper Pines Campground in Yosemite Valley, if needed (Friday, October 2 and Sunday, October 4).
- Note: Our limited camping sites are for participants only. The sites are shared. Tents only. We cannot adjust the dates.
- Option to upgrade to accommodations to Curry Village for an additional fee (for Friday, October 2 and Sunday, October 4).
- Information about upgrading your accommodations will be emailed to you after you sign up. The option expires 30 days before the program and does not offer a discount. We cannot adjust the dates.
Note: There is no discount if you choose not to use our gate pass, campsites or permits.
Participants must have prior backpacking experience and be very physically fit. This is a 17-mile round-trip hike, including 9 miles with a full backpack. It is recommended that participants train for this trek by hiking hills or stairs carrying a heavy pack.