In this multi-day art workshop, you’ll create sketches and paintings of Yosemite’s natural wonders, all while learning about shapes, colors, light direction and seasonal change, expanding your painting skills and giving you a broader understanding of place.
Students will learn skills, allowing them to find their own style and express themselves. Our approach will be relaxed and un-fussy, beginning with loose and quick pencil drawings to establish the major masses, then applying watercolor to define the areas of color. To intermediate students, this class offers a fun experience with many basic tips and techniques for capturing each element of landscape. Experienced students will expand their painting skills, and the instructor will assist them in refining their own style.
Know Before You Go:
- Program dates: October 10 through October 13
- Program location: Yosemite Valley
- What’s included: An evening meeting (October 10), three days of progressive learning and painting en plein air with artist Molly Hashimoto (October 11 – October 13), park entry (as needed), and four nights of tent camping shared amongst participants (October 10 – October 14) in Yosemite Valley, or upgrade to a room at Yosemite Valley Lodge for an additional fee. There is no discount if you choose not to use the included gate pass or campsite.
- Camping dates: Participants can arrive on October 10 after 12pm and must depart October 14 by 11am. There are two shared campsites among all retreat participants. Please be prepared to tent camp. A picnic table, bear locker and firepit are provided at each site. Campsites fit 6 people and 2 cars per site, with overflow parking nearby. Please note:
- Camping is for retreat participants only. We are unable to accommodate friends and family of participants in our group campsite; lodging arrangements for friends and family are the responsibility of participants.
- Due to the shared nature of our group sites, we are unable to accommodate RVs or campers. If you desire a private campsite, have an RV/camper, or want to sleep in your car, you must arrange for your own reservation.
- Campground Location: Upper Pines in Yosemite Valley
- Lodging: Upgrade to Yosemite Valley Lodge for an additional fee. Lodging dates match camping dates. Lodging blocks expire 30 days prior to the program. Information on upgrading accommodations will be included in your confirmation email upon registering.
- Experience level: Intermediate artists; must be physically fit to walk to painting locations with art supplies and hiking essentials.
What’s not included:
- Gear or meals