This three-day workshop offers progressive, personalized instruction in plein air oil painting. During this comprehensive workshop with professional artist, Casey Cheuvront, you will experience how intense observation and creative engagement make plein air oil painting a deeply rewarding experience! As you study dramatic late summer light on the walls of Yosemite Valley, you’ll learn how to use color and brushwork to respond quickly and decisively to dynamic conditions. Each student will get plenty of practice time, and the unique opportunity to be immersed in one of the world’s most remarkable landscapes. End the week with a deeper appreciation for the natural world, a supercharged sense of creativity and new artwork for your portfolio. This retreat is designed for intermediate oil artists; if you’re not sure if this workshop is the right fit for you, get in touch, we’re happy to help!
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Program dates: September 12 through September 15
- Program location: Yosemite Valley
- What’s included: An evening meeting (September 12), three days of progressive learning and painting en plein air with artist Casey Cheuvront (September 13 – September 15), park entry (as needed), and four nights of tent camping shared amongst participants (September 12 – September 16) in Yosemite Valley, or upgrade to a room at Yosemite Valley Lodge for an additional fee. There is no discount if you choose not to use the included gate pass or campsite.
- Camping dates: Participants can arrive on September 12 after 12pm and must depart September 16 by 11am. There are two shared campsites among all retreat participants. Please be prepared to tent camp. A picnic table, bear locker and firepit are provided at each site. Campsites fit 6 people and 2 cars per site, with overflow parking nearby. Please note:
- Camping is for retreat participants only. We are unable to accommodate friends and family of participants in our group campsite; lodging arrangements for friends and family are the responsibility of participants.
- Due to the shared nature of our group sites, we are unable to accommodate RVs or campers. If you desire a private campsite, have an RV/camper, or want to sleep in your car, you must arrange for your own reservation.
- Campground Location: Upper Pines in Yosemite Valley
- Lodging: Upgrade to Yosemite Valley Lodge for an additional fee. Lodging dates match camping dates. Lodging blocks expire 30 days prior to the program. Information on upgrading accommodations will be included in your confirmation email upon registering.
- Experience level: Intermediate artists; must be physically fit to walk to painting locations with art supplies and essentials. Please be prepared to walk 1-3 miles/day, as not all locations will be accessible by car.
What’s not included:
- Gear or meals