The free Yosemite Bike Share in Yosemite Valley offers a simple way to get around without having to get in a car! Using the bike share is easy: Download the Yosemite Bike Share app, unlock a bike and pedal on your way.
Yosemite Conservancy and the National Park Service work together to run the bike share program, which is supported by Conservancy donors.
The Yosemite Bike Share operates on a seasonal schedule. The 30 bikes are usually available between June and October, though specific start and end dates vary from year to year. Follow this page and social media (@yosemiteconservancy and @yosemitenps) for updates about when the bikes are available.
Current Bike Share Status:
2020 closing date: November 8
2021 opening date: TBD
How It Works
- Download the free Yosemite Bike Share app for Apple/iOS (via the App Store) or Android (via Google Play).
- Sign up using your mobile number and email address. Once you register, you’ll receive a pin via text. When prompted, enter the pin in the app. (You only need to enter the pin once, when you sign up; after that your pin will be stored in the app.)
- Head to a Yosemite Bike Share station to pick up a bike. Bikes are available in two locations: at the Yosemite Village Parking Area (sometimes called Camp 6) and on the Yosemite Village mall, between the Valley Wilderness Center and the Valley Visitor Center. (See map below.)
- Choose a bike. Before you pick up a bike, make sure your Bluetooth and location services are enabled on your phone! Use the app to unlock the bike’s rear wheel by scanning the QR code between the handlebars. When you scan the code, the lock on the bike’s rear wheel automatically opens.
- Stay safe: Use the helmet provided with the bike, or bring your own. To unlock the helmet, click the symbol on the app.
- Pedal to your destination. Stick to roads and designated bike paths (see map below). You can keep a bike for up to two hours at a time.
- When you’re done riding, return the bike to the station where you picked it up. Be sure to leave the bike in the “Used Bike Corral” area. To end your ride and lock the bike, manually close the lock on the rear wheel and press STOP on the app. Double-check that the app has registered the end of the ride before you leave!
Questions or problems? Use the app to contact the Yosemite Bike Share team via email or phone, or to submit an issue.