Program Overview: Experience Yosemite with all your senses during two days of restorative and relaxing programming on Friday, October 4 and Saturday, October 5.
Each morning, enjoy Forest Bathing and Nature Immersion activities in Yosemite’s majestic forests and meadows — this is not “bathing” in the literal sense. Instead, imagine a beautiful feeling of inter-connectedness experienced by slowing down, mindfully tuning into your senses, and immersing yourself in nature’s peace amid the awe-inspiring beauty of Yosemite.
Nature or Forest Bathing is inspired by the Japanese art of Shinrin-yoku (immersing in the atmosphere of the forest). During this practice, we slow down, relax, release, and awaken your senses on a fully focused mind-body walk. Your love for and connection to Yosemite will bloom!
Your instructor, Dan Webster, is an experienced naturalist and ANFT (Association for Nature and Forest Therapy) certified Forest Therapy guide. Dan joyfully facilitates safe, gentle walks by offering ‘invitations’ that allow participants to experience sensory-opening activities that are at once unique and shared within a supportive community environment.
Each afternoon, combine your curiosity and art skill with a facilitated Nature Journaling session with John Muir Laws (Jack). Jack will help you and your fellow journalers tap into all your senses to notice details that might otherwise escape attention, such as hidden plants, animal tracks, or distant bird calls, and then jot down what you see, hear, smell, and feel. However you decide to fill in your journal — with notes, poems, sketches, maps, or detailed drawings of leaves and feathers — you’ll end the day with a personal record of the day’s observations and reflections.
Nature Journaling will enrich your experiences and develop observation, curiosity, gratitude, reverence, memory, and the skills of a naturalist. It helps you discover, think, remember, and integrate new information with your existing knowledge. Train your mind, and the world will offer you its secrets of wonder and beauty.
Know Before You Go:
- Program dates: Friday, October 4 through Saturday, October 5, 9am-5pm each day.
- Program location: Yosemite Valley and High country (conditions allowing)
- What’s included: Two full days of guided instruction by a Yosemite Naturalist, Dan Webster and Professional Artist and Naturalist John Muir Laws, park entry (as needed), and shared tent camping (camping dates cannot be altered). There is no discount if you choose not to use the included gate pass or campsite.
- Camping dates: Participants can arrive on October 3 after 12pm and depart October 7 by 11am. There are two shared campsites among all the participants. We guarantee tent camping only. If you choose to bring a recreational vehicle, we cannot guarantee you will have a parking spot. Please be prepared to tent camp. A picnic table, bear locker and firepit are provided at each site. Campsites fit 6 people per site.
- Campground Location: Crane Flat Campground
- Lodging: Upgrade to Rush Creek for an additional fee. Lodging dates match camping dates. Lodging blocks expire 30 days prior to the program. Details on using our Group Code will be emailed to you immediately after registering.
- Experience level: All levels are welcome.
*This two-day program includes four nights to camp. Make the most your trip by enjoying an extra free day, October 6th, to explore on your own.
What’s not included:
- Gear or meals during your program (heavy appetizers are provided on Friday evening only).
- Camping gear or meals in the shared campsites.