Program Overview: Join us for two days of guided exploration and immerse yourself in the historical and contemporary relationships between people and plants in Yosemite National Park.
Naturalist guide and ethnobotany expert Marina will help you learn about the incredible flora of Yosemite and how the American Indian Tribes of California used local plants for shelter, food, medicine, forest management, and spiritual purposes. You’ll discover exactly how nature provides us with the tools we need to thrive — did you know that many ingredients used in modern medicine can be found in Yosemite’s meadows?
This adventure will explore the overlap of science, medicine, spirituality, history, and cultural ecology, including the various ways Indigenous peoples and European peoples adapted to the land they called home for millennia. You will come away from this program with a greater connection to the plant world, tools for working with plants in your own life, and a deeper appreciation for Indigenous wisdom.
Know Before You Go:
- Program dates: Saturday, May 13 and Sunday, May 14 from 9am-5pm each day
- Program location: Yosemite Valley
- What’s included: Two full days of guided instruction by a Yosemite Naturalist, free full day on your own to enjoy the park, park entry (as needed), and shared tent camping (camping dates cannot be altered). There is no discount if you choose not to use the included gate pass or campsite.
- Camping dates: Participants can arrive on May 11 after 12pm and must depart May 15 by 11am. There are two shared campsites among all the participants. We guarantee tent camping only. If you choose to bring a recreational vehicle, we cannot guarantee you will have a parking spot. Please be prepared to tent camp. A picnic table, bear locker and firepit are provided at each site. Campsites fit 6 people per site.
- Campground Location: Upper Pines in Yosemite Valley
- Lodging: Upgrade to Curry Village for an additional fee. Lodging dates match camping dates. Lodging blocks expire 30 days prior to the program. Details on using our Group Code to book lodging will be emailed to you immediately after you register.
- Experience level: All levels welcome.
What’s not included:
- Gear or meals during your program.
- Camping gear or meals in the shared campsites.