If you’ve wanted to try watercolor painting but find it daunting or difficult, this is the class for you! Artist Luis Juarez will help you see how watercolor can be a fun, rewarding way to connect with and capture your surroundings. In this 4 hour class, you’ll practice slowing down and taking time to observe subjects and scenes in Yosemite Valley. You’ll learn to use basic watercolor techniques to simplify shapes, colors and shadows, portraying the essence of trees, mountains and people without getting mired in minute details. Throughout the class, you’ll focus on employing easy tactics to get the best results from your paints.
After spending a few hours learning from Luis and creating your own painting, you’ll have a personal piece of art that reflects the colors and atmosphere of a summer day in Yosemite — and plenty of skills and self-assurance for your future artistic adventures!
- Experience level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+. All participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Registration fee: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration encouraged. Walk-up registration available as space allows.
- Location: Happy Isles Art and Nature Center (Shuttle Stop 16). All workshops will be held outside, weather permitting.
- Time: 9 am to 1 pm, Monday through Friday. Please arrive between 8:30 and 8:45 am. Please build in extra time if taking the shuttle or walking from the parking lot.
- Materials: Supplies for this class are not included in the registration fee. You will have the option to rent a watercolor kit for $20, or purchase or bring your own art supplies. All rentals and purchases benefit the park! These essentials are available free of charge: stool, hardboard, water cup and paper towels.
- Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of participants.