Deepen your connection to Yosemite in an interactive workshop that brings together two mediums: watercolor and ink. In this four-hour class with Qinqin Liu, an accomplished artist and environmental scientist, you’ll work with watercolor paints and Chinese ink as you learn basic elements of artistic design, including how to mix, adjust and apply different colors, and how to use light and dark values to add depth or create focal points.
You’ll also explore abstract Chinese pictorial characters representing natural features, such as mountain peaks, rocks and waterfalls. Working outside (weather permitting), you’ll use simple watercolor and ink techniques to create a unique piece that reflects the Valley’s natural beauty. Novice and experienced artists alike will find inspiration and fresh perspectives in this fun summer class!
- Experience level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+. All participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Registration fee: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration encouraged. Walk-up registration available as space allows.
- Location: Happy Isles Art and Nature Center (Shuttle Stop 16). All workshops will be held outside, weather permitting.
- Time: 9 am to 1 pm, Monday through Friday. Please arrive between 8:30 and 8:45 am. Please build in extra time if taking the shuttle or walking from the parking lot.
- Materials: Supplies for this class are not included in the registration fee. You will have the option to rent a watercolor kit for $20, or purchase or bring your own art supplies. All rentals and purchases benefit the park! These essentials are available free of charge: stool, hardboard, water cup and paper towels.
- Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of participants.
COVID-19: We have implemented special safety measures to keep art class participants and instructors safe during the ongoing pandemic. Please review our COVID-19 procedures for details.