In this four-hour watercolor workshop, you’ll use brushes with paint and Sumi ink on watercolor paper to bring a Yosemite landscape to life. Artist Mariko Lofink will teach you basic watercolor and Sumi techniques, including how to use light and dark colors to create the illusion of depth in a scene captured on paper.
Mariko will give you the foundational skills and encouragement to help you develop your own unique style. Let Yosemite’s awe-inspiring landscape fuel your creativity as you discover a new appreciation for nature and practice painting en plein air.
- Experience level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+. All participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Registration fee: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration encouraged. Walk-up registration available as space allows.
- Location: Happy Isles Art and Nature Center (Shuttle Stop 16). All workshops will be held outside, weather permitting.
- Time: 9 am to 1 pm, Monday through Friday. Please arrive between 8:30 and 8:45 am. Please build in extra time if taking the shuttle or walking from the parking lot.
- Materials: Supplies for this class are not included in the registration fee. You will have the option to rent a watercolor kit for $20, or purchase or bring your own art supplies. All rentals and purchases benefit the park! These essentials are available free of charge: stool, hardboard, water cup and paper towels.
- Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of participants.
COVID-19: We have implemented special safety measures to keep art class participants and instructors safe during the ongoing pandemic. Please review our COVID-19 procedures for details.