Join artists and poets Joa Suorez and Kelly Lee in translating your experience of a summer day in Yosemite into an original watercolor painting and poem. In addition to learning the basics of plein air watercolor painting — including tips on sketching, color mixing and composition — you’ll read a selection of poetry inspired by the Sierra Nevada and compose your own poem. With an emphasis on helping you honor and hone your unique approach, this workshop welcomes experimentation and playfulness, and it is open to artists and poets of all levels.
- Experience level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+. All participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Registration fee: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration encouraged. Walk-up registration available as space allows.
- Location: Yosemite Valley Visitor Center (shuttle stops #5 and #9). All workshops will be held outside, weather permitting.
- Time: 9 am to 1 pm, Monday through Friday. Please arrive between 8:30 and 8:45 am. Please build in extra time if taking the shuttle or walking from the parking lot.
- Materials: Supplies for this class are not included in the registration fee. When you register, let us know whether you would like to rent a supply kit for $20, purchase supplies upon arrival, or bring your own art supplies. All rentals and purchases benefit the park! These essentials are available free of charge: stool, hardboard, water cup and paper towels.
- Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of participants.
COVID-19: We have implemented special safety measures to keep art class participants and instructors safe during the ongoing pandemic. Please review our COVID-19 procedures for details.