Join artist and educator Sean Edgerton for a fun, adventurous class focused on the basic elements of drawing and painting outdoors in Yosemite Valley.
Throughout the class, Edgerton will help you discover and observe details in the landscape, and will offer guidance as you use pencils and pens to record your surroundings and watercolor to add depth and perspective.
As you take a fresh look at everything from tiny flowers and insects, to tall trees and waterfalls, you’ll begin to see the beauty in creatures and features you might otherwise overlook. You might study the delicate veins of a pale green leaf, outline the undulations of snowmelt flowing in the Merced River, or sketch a granite skyline — or anything else that catches your eye! Whatever you choose to focus on, you’ll draw on freshly learned tips and techniques to capture the shapes, textures and sensations of spring in Yosemite.
- Experience level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+. All participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Registration fee: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration encouraged. Walk-up registration available as space allows.
- Location: Yosemite Valley Visitor Center (shuttle stops #5 and #9). All workshops will be held outside, weather permitting.
- Time: 9 am to 1 pm, Monday through Friday. Please arrive between 8:30 and 8:45 am. Please build in extra time if taking the shuttle or walking from the parking lot.
- Materials: Supplies for this class are not included in the registration fee. When you register, let us know whether you would like to rent a supply kit for $15, purchase supplies upon arrival, or bring your own art supplies. All rentals and purchases benefit the park! These essentials are available free of charge: stool, hardboard, water cup and paper towels.
- Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of participants.
View the supplies list.
COVID-19: We have implemented special safety measures to keep art class participants and instructors safe during the ongoing pandemic. Please review our COVID-19 procedures for details.