Program Overview: Most people visit the Mariposa Grove during the summer months. On this day trip, you’ll experience many locals’ favorite time of year in Yosemite — winter!
Depending on conditions, you’ll either hike or snowshoe among the towering trees, experiencing the serene, inspiring setting made even more inviting by winter’s slow pace. As you move below and around the enormous red-brown trunks and gaze up at the sky-scraping branches, you’ll get to look and listen for wildlife that stay active year round, hear the stories behind some of the Grove’s most famous trees, and learn how the Sierra Nevada snowpack has helped the giant trees thrive for thousands of years.
Know Before You Go:
- Program date: Saturday, February 18, 9am-4pm
- Program location: Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias, in Wawona
- What’s included: A full day of guided instruction with a Yosemite Naturalist, one free day to enjoy the park on your own, park entry (as needed), and shared tent camping (camping dates cannot be altered). There is no discount if you choose not to use the included gate pass or campsite.
- Camping dates: Participants can arrive on February 17 after 12pm and must depart February 20 by 11am. There are two shared campsites among all the participants. We guarantee tent camping only. If you choose to bring a recreational vehicle, we cannot guarantee you will have a parking spot. Please be prepared to tent camp. A picnic table, bear locker and fire pit are provided at each site. Campsites fit 6 people per site.
- Campground Location: Upper Pines in Yosemite Valley
- Lodging: Upgrade to Yosemite Valley Lodge for an additional fee. Lodging dates match camping dates. Lodging blocks expire 30 days prior to the program. Details on using our Group Code to book lodging will be emailed to you immediately after you register.
- Experience level: All levels welcome, but participants must be physically fit to walk with a daypack.
What’s not included:
- Gear or meals during your program.
- Camping gear or meals in the shared campsites.