Program Overview: Most people visit the Mariposa Grove during the summer months. On this day trip, you’ll experience many locals’ favorite time of year in Yosemite — winter!
Depending on conditions, you’ll either hike or snowshoe among the towering trees, experiencing the serene, inspiring setting made even more inviting by winter’s slow pace. As you move below and around the enormous red-brown trunks and gaze up at the sky-scraping branches, you’ll get to look and listen for wildlife that stay active year-round, hear the stories behind some of the Grove’s most famous trees, and learn how the Sierra Nevada snowpack has helped the giant trees thrive for thousands of years.
Know Before You Go:
- Program date: Saturday, February 17, 9am-4pm
- Program location: Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias, in Wawona
- What’s included: A full day of guided instruction with a Yosemite Naturalist, one free day to enjoy the park on your own (Sunday, February 18), snowshoes (as needed), park entry (as needed), and shared tent camping (camping dates cannot be altered). There is no discount if you choose not to use the included gate pass or campsite.
- Camping dates: Participants can arrive on February 16 after 12pm and must depart February 19 by 11am. There are two shared campsites among all the participants. We guarantee tent camping only. If you choose to bring a recreational vehicle, we cannot guarantee you will have a parking spot. Please be prepared to tent camp. A picnic table, bear locker, and fire pit are provided at each site. Campsites fit 6 people per site.
- Campground Location: Upper Pines in Yosemite Valley
- Lodging: There are no additional lodging for this program.
- Experience level: All levels welcome.
*This one-day program includes three nights to camp. Make the most of a full day to enjoy the park when the program ends on February 18th before checking out on February 19th.
What’s not included:
- Gear or meals during your program.
- Camping gear or meals in the shared campsites.