Program Overview: You might have heard of or visited Devils Postpile National Monument, in the eastern Sierra Nevada… but did you know that Yosemite has its own version?
On this guided 10-mile out-and-back hike, you’ll join an experienced Yosemite naturalist to check out Little Devils Postpile, a remarkable remnant of ancient volcanic activity in the Sierra Nevada high country. From Tuolumne Meadows, you’ll head northwest on a trail blazed by the U.S. Cavalry over a century ago. Enjoy the high-elevation scenery as you explore earth science, ecology and human history—and, of course, the fascinating geologic story behind the postpile’s basalt columns. In the afternoon, head back east along the same trail, savoring summer views of the Tuolumne River and high peaks.
Know Before You Go
- When: Friday, July 9, 8 am to around 4 pm
- Where: Tuolumne Meadows and Little Devils Postpile
- Registration includes: Guided day hike, park entry (as needed), and two nights of tent camping at a shared group site at Tuolumne Meadows Campground (July 8 and 9). There is no discount if you choose not to use the included gate pass or campsite.
- Lodging options: Tent camping included. Camping dates cannot be adjusted. No additional lodging options have been arranged for this program, but guests are welcome to find their own alternate accommodations if desired.
- Experience level: No experience necessary, but participants must be physically fit and prepared for a 10-mile hike at high elevation.
COVID-19: We have implemented special safety measures to keep participants and instructors safe during the ongoing pandemic. For example, participants will hike single-file and keep moving to avoid crowding the trail, and instructors will stop to offer interpretation only when there is ample space to stay at least six feet apart. Please review our COVID-19 procedures for details.