Program Overview: You might have heard of or visited Devils Postpile National Monument, in the eastern Sierra Nevada… but did you know that Yosemite has its own version?
On this guided 7-mile out-and-back hike, you’ll join an experienced Yosemite naturalist to check out Little Devils Postpile, a remarkable remnant of ancient volcanic activity in the Sierra Nevada high country. From Tuolumne Meadows, you’ll head northwest on a trail blazed by the U.S. Cavalry over a century ago. Enjoy the high-elevation scenery as you explore earth science, ecology and human history—and, of course, the fascinating geologic story behind the postpile’s andesite columns. In the afternoon, head back east along the same trail, savoring summer views of the Tuolumne River and high peaks.
Know Before You Go
- When: Saturday, July 23 from 8 am to around 4 pm
- Where: Tuolumne Meadows to Little Devils Postpile
- Registration includes: Guided day hike, park entry (as needed), and two nights of tent camping at a shared group site (July 22 and 23). There is no discount if you choose not to use the included gate pass or campsite.
- Lodging: Tent camping (included) or upgrade to Tuolumne Meadows Lodge (for the night of July 24 only) for an additional fee. The upgrade option expires 30 days before the program. Lodging information will be sent immediately after registering.
- Experience level: No experience necessary, but participants must be physically fit and prepared for a 7-mile hike at high elevation.
COVID-19: We have implemented special safety measures to keep participants and instructors safe during the ongoing pandemic. Please review our COVID-19 procedures for details.