Program Overview: Spend a long weekend surrounded by the incomparable beauty of the Sierra Nevada high country on this three-day, two-night guided backpacking trip.
The trip kicks off with a Thursday evening get-together where you’ll meet your guide and fellow adventurers, and review the route, Leave No Trace ethics, and safety tips.
On Friday morning, set out from Tuolumne Meadows to Young Lakes (10,000 feet), where you’ll set up a base camp for the weekend. Spend Saturday on a day hike to Mt. Conness (12,590 feet), and savor the views from the soaring summit before heading back to camp for another evening under the stars. Hike out on Sunday, arriving back at Tuolumne Meadows in the afternoon.
Throughout the weekend, your guide will offer insights into the area’s ecology, landscape and history, as you look for summer flowers in bloom, listen for seasonal songbirds and enjoy expansive mountain views. You’ll learn to navigate off-trail as you hike cross-country to Mt. Conness, a challenging but rewarding trek on tricky terrain. And you’ll have plenty of opportunities to enjoy stunning high-elevation scenery, from your camp at a cliff-lined alpine lake to the peak’s rocky slopes.
Know Before You Go
- When: Thursday, August 18 (orientation at 7:30 pm) to Sunday, August 21. Depart for backpacking trip on August 19 at 8 am, return August 21 at around 4 pm.
- Where: Out-and-back hike from Tuolumne Meadows to Mt. Conness on the Young Lakes/Dog Lake Trail.
- Registration includes: Guided backpacking trip, park entry (as needed), bear-proof canister rental, Yosemite Wilderness permit, and two nights of tent camping at a shared campsite before and after the trip ( August 18 and 21). There is no discount if you choose not to use the included gate pass or campsite.
- Lodging options: Tent camping (included), or upgrade to Tuolumne Meadows Lodge ( August 18 and 21) for an additional fee. Camping and lodging dates cannot be adjusted. The upgrade option expires 30 days before the program. Lodging information will be sent immediately after registering.
- Experience level: No prior backpacking experience necessary, but participants must be physically fit.
View a suggested packing list.
COVID-19: We have implemented special safety measures to keep participants and instructors safe during the ongoing pandemic. Please review our COVID-19 procedures for details.