Program Overview: Julia Parker spent more than 60 years working as a cultural demonstrator in Yosemite National Park, educating visitors from around the world about Native American history, stories and traditions. Julia is a renowned basket-weaver, a skill she has passed on to others in her family and shared with countless people over decades, including through Conservancy workshops.
In this three-day workshop in Yosemite Valley, you’ll have the opportunity to learn from Julia and her daughter, Lucy as they guide you through traditional Miwok-Paiute basket-weaving techniques and share stories that have lived on through generations. All weaving materials are provided, and you’ll be able to create and take home your own beautiful handmade basket. Please note that you’ll need to bring some specific equipment with you — see below.
Know Before You Go:
- Program dates: Friday, September 22 through Sunday, September 24, 9am-4pm each day.
- Program location: Yosemite Valley
- What’s included: Three full days of guided instruction, park entry (as needed), and shared tent camping (camping dates cannot be altered). There is no discount if you choose not to use the included gate pass or campsite.
- Camping dates: Participants can arrive on September 21 after 12pm and depart September 25 by 11am. There are four shared campsites among all the participants. We guarantee tent camping only. If you choose to bring a recreational vehicle, we cannot guarantee you will have a parking spot. Please be prepared to tent camp. A picnic table, bear locker and firepit are provided at each site. Campsites fit 6 people per site.
- Campground Location: Upper Pines in Yosemite Valley
- Lodging: Upgrade to Curry Village or Yosemite Valley Lodge for an additional fee. Lodging dates match camping dates. Lodging blocks expire 30 days prior to the program. Details on using our Group Code will be emailed to you immediately after registering.
- Experience level: All levels welcome.
What’s not included:
- Gear or meals during your program.
- Camping gear or meals in the shared campsites.