During autumn in Yosemite, the leaves of the oak, maple, and aspen begin to change into the fall colors that inspire artists to go out and paint en plein air. In this class, participants will enjoy that inspiration first-hand in one of the most stunning & scenic landscapes in the world, Yosemite Valley.
Join your local instructor Zach as he guides you through the fundamentals of watercolor, building your confidence with key concepts such as compositional design, managing values, and color theory. Once you are set up for success, class will move outdoors to spend the remaining time leisurely painting and enjoying the scenery. The goal of this class is for students to relinquish expectations, realize the joy of connecting with the natural world, and create art inspired by it. By the end of the day, participants will have a better understanding of watercolors and landscape painting — and the encouragement and basic skill to continue the practice.
- Experience level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+. All participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Registration fee: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration encouraged. Walk-up registration available as space allows.
- Location: Happy Isles Art and Nature Center (Shuttle Stop 16). All workshops will be held outside, weather permitting.
- Time: 9 am to 1 pm, Monday through Friday. Please arrive between 8:30 and 8:45 am. Please build in extra time if taking the shuttle or walking from the parking lot.
- Materials: Supplies for this class are not included in the registration fee. You will have the option to rent a watercolor kit for $20, or purchase or bring your own art supplies. All rentals and purchases benefit the park! These essentials are available free of charge: stool, hardboard, water cup and paper towels.
- Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of participants.
- View Zach’s Spring Watercolor class.
COVID-19: We have implemented special safety measures to keep art class participants and instructors safe during the ongoing pandemic. Please review our COVID-19 procedures for details.