Watercolor doesn’t have to be intimidating! That’s the theme of this creative painting class with artist Michael Friedland. Spend a day immersed in Yosemite’s summer beauty while learning the basics of working with watercolor, including specific techniques and brush strokes, color theory and mixing, and design and composition.
As you practice new skills and capture your surroundings on paper with sparkling brushstrokes, you’ll be amazed at the shades and shapes you can produce from just a few basic colors and a cup of water. You’ll end the day with a personal painting to take home — and a new appreciation for how much fun painting with watercolor can be. One of the most rewarding things about painting en plein air is its ability to sharpen our eyes and grow our appreciation for the beauty and intricacies of nature.
- Experience level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+. All participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Registration fee: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration encouraged. Walk-up registration available as space allows.
- Location: Happy Isles Art and Nature Center (Shuttle Stop 16). All workshops will be held outside, weather permitting.
- Time: 9 am to 1 pm, Monday through Friday. Please arrive between 8:30 and 8:45 am. Please build in extra time if taking the shuttle or walking from the parking lot.
- Materials: Supplies for this class are not included in the registration fee. You will have the option to rent a watercolor kit for $20, purchase or bring your own art supplies. All rentals and purchases benefit the park! These essentials are available free of charge: stool, hardboard, water cup and paper towels.
- Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of participants.
COVID-19: We have implemented special safety measures to keep art class participants and instructors safe during the ongoing pandemic. Please review our COVID-19 procedures for details.