Art doesn’t have to be intimidating! That’s the theme of this creative painting class with artist Michael Friedland. Spend a day immersed in Yosemite’s late-summer beauty while learning the basics of working with watercolor, including how to compose a scene and mix hues.
As you practice new skills and capture your surroundings on paper in elegant brushstrokes, you’ll be amazed at the shades and shapes you can produce from just a few different colors and a cup of water. You’ll end the day with a personal painting to take home — and a new appreciation for how much fun creating art can be.
- Experience level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+.
- Registration fee: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration is required at least 12 hours in advance; no drop-ins due to Covid-19.
- Location: Yosemite Valley Visitor Center (shuttle stops #5 and #9). All workshops will be held outside, weather permitting.
- Time: 10 am to 2 pm, Monday through Friday. Please arrive between 9:30 and 9:45 am. Please build in extra time if taking the shuttle.
- Materials: Supplies for this class are not included in the registration fee. When you register, let us know whether you would like to rent a watercolor kit for $20, purchase supplies upon arrival, or bring your own art supplies. All rentals and purchases benefit the park! These essentials are available free of charge: easel, stool, hardboard, water cup and paper towels.
- Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of participants.
COVID-19: We have implemented special safety measures to keep art class participants and instructors safe during the ongoing pandemic. Please review our COVID-19 procedures for details.