In this class, students will learn how to create scratchboard illustrations with artist Caleb Blatz. Scratchboard is a unique medium — you’ll learn to use etching tools to scratch into a clay board. This tactile experience offers students a different way to look at creating a drawing, and an opportunity to meditate on the interplay of light and stone. You’ll explore texture to create high contrast images, starting with highlights instead of shadows. Flex your brain and see things a little differently in this class.
- Experience level: Little to no experience required, ages 12+. All participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Registration fee: $20 per day per visitor. Advanced registration encouraged. Walk-up registration available as space allows.
- Location: Happy Isles Art and Nature Center (Shuttle Stop 16). All workshops will be held outside, weather permitting.
- Time: 9 am to 1 pm, Monday through Friday. Please arrive between 8:30 and 8:45 am. Please build in extra time if taking the shuttle or walking from the parking lot.
- Materials: Supplies for this class are not included in the registration fee. You will have the option to purchase or bring your own art supplies. All purchases benefit the park! These essentials are available free of charge: stool and hardboard.
- Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of participants.
COVID-19: We have implemented special safety measures to keep art class participants and instructors safe during the ongoing pandemic. Please review our COVID-19 procedures for details.