Program Overview: Spend a long summer weekend exploring Ten Lakes and Grant Lakes, two clusters of backcountry lakes near the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne River. The 7-mile hike to the lakes leads through picturesque high country terrain.
The trip kicks off with a Thursday evening get-together, where you’ll meet your naturalist guide and fellow LGBTQI+ adventurers, and review the route, Leave No Trace ethics, and safety tips.
On Friday, you’ll head into the Yosemite Wilderness with your guide and fellow adventurers. Enjoy stunning scenery and opportunities to explore Sierra ecology during the hike to Grant Lake. Set up a base camp by Grant Lake, your home for the next two nights. Spend your layover day in the nearby Ten Lakes basin, stretching your legs on a day hike while learning about plants, animals, geology and history. Bring your fishing pole and California fishing license if you want to cast a line! On Sunday, enjoy a beautiful hike back to the trailhead.
Know Before You Go
- When: Thursday, August 25 (orientation at 7:30 pm) to Sunday, August 28. Depart for backpacking trip on August 26 at 8 am, return August 28 at around 4 pm.
- Where: Out and back on the Ten Lakes Trail from Tioga Road
- Registration includes: Guided backpacking trip, park entry (as needed), bear-proof canister rental, Yosemite Wilderness permit, and two nights of tent camping at a shared campsite in Upper Pines campground before and after the trip (August 25 and 28). There is no discount if you choose not to use the included gate pass or campsite.
- Lodging options: Tent camping (included), or upgrade to Tuolumne Meadows Lodge for an additional fee. Camping and lodging dates cannot be adjusted. The upgrade option expires 30 days before the program. Lodging information will be sent immediately after registering.
- Experience level: Participants must be physically fit, have experience hiking at elevations above 10,000 feet, and be ready to hike up to 8 miles per day.
COVID-19: We have implemented special safety measures to keep participants and instructors safe during the ongoing pandemic. Please review our COVID-19 procedures for details.